About Me

My photo
Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire, United Kingdom
Broadcaster, musician, song writer, tea drinker and curry lover.

Monday, June 21, 2010

Dissatisfied

I'm wondering whether it is okay to be dissatisfied with life. On the one hand it's good to never rest on your laurels and strive for better things, but allied to that I just have this indefinable feeling that life is incomplete.

On Father's Day, I guess inevitably, my thoughts turn to my dad, and I can't help but notice that by the time he had reached my age, he had his own house, and was married with 2 kids in their teens, one of them about to leave home for university.

Now I know that comparisons are not always helpful, but when I look at what I have actually "achieved" in life, I can't help but think that it is not very much. I mean, what have you got to show for your time on earth? When I ask myself the same question it is very hard to think of anything at all.

Maybe it's just today and I'm being too introspective, but despite the obvious fact that this life is just a passing phase leading to eternity with God, it would still be really nice to make some kind of mark. From a purely earthly point of view however, I just feel I have nothing to show for 46 years on earth.

Anyone else ever feel the same or is it just me thinking too deeply...?

1 comment:

Jenna said...

2 thoughts:
1. Don't compare yourself with others to find out where you should be in life. This is not biblical or reasonable.
2. Listen to what your brain and heart are really telling you. We never move unless we are uncomfortable in some way. Maybe it's time to 'move' in some areas of your life. (Preferably not your location, my friend)
We should get together...I have some more thoughts I'm sure you're dying to hear...lol!