About Me

My photo
Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire, United Kingdom
Broadcaster, musician, song writer, tea drinker and curry lover.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

4th of July Wedding

I was at a wedding over the weekend. Those who know me will be aware that I am not the greatest fan of going to weddings, so when I like and enjoy one, it HAS to be good. Such was the case with Jaci & Josh's wedding.

I should say from the outset that this was a Christian and God-centered wedding, but at the same time it did not follow the traditional wedding service format. Having said that however, at no time did I feel that this was anything but a Godly occasion.

I'd not been to a full-on outdoor wedding (that I can remember) before, and the setting in the shade at Applegate River Lodge on a sunny, but not too hot July 4th was about as perfect as it could be.

The service contained the essentials, but was at the same time tailored to the tastes and personalities of the bride & groom, and it got me thinking that really that is the way all weddings ought to be. As long as they contain the legal essentials, the rest of the ceremony is up to the couple, and to include a time when the bride and groom prayed together while the PA played Sufjan Stevens' sublime reading of "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing" was a lovely touch.

I'm all for informality, and this wedding was a great example of just the right level of the formal and the informal. Sometimes at weddings you just get this sense of starchiness and having to be on your best behaviour all the time, but Jaci & Josh successfully managed to keep things light, fun, yet still God centred.

All in all, a great day. Thank you to Jaci & Josh for the invite, and I wish you every happiness and blessing in your life together.

No comments: