About Me

My photo
Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire, United Kingdom
Broadcaster, musician, song writer, tea drinker and curry lover.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Sorry to get political, but...

I pretty much vowed I would avoid politically tinged postings when I started this blog, but I am a little concerned at two rather worrying traits I am observing in Christians both in this country and elsewhere.

Perhaps it is true to say that for some years now, Christians and the Christian church have been viewed as being somewhat naive when it comes to what is going on in the world around us, perhaps worryingly so. Jesus charges us in Matthew 10 verse 16 to be "as shrewd as snakes and harmless as doves" [NLT] because we Christians are "...sheep among wolves." It is imperative that we are as informed as we can possibly be so that we are not devoured by the wolves that are more and more prevalent today.

The second thing I have observed is an apparent fatalism among some Christians in the USA who take the attitude that the downfall of the country (and by association all that the current administration is bringing to pass) is inevitable and willed or planned by God, and therefore there is no point in getting in the way of this (and by inference, doing anything about it.)

 I see nothing in my Bible to support this approach. Indeed God has given us free will so that we can actually do something to change what we see happening around us. If God wanted us to sit back and do nothing, there would have been no point in having free will, since it would be useless.

Without wanting to point the finger too much, I have to say that this fatalism I see around me smacks of laziness. After all, how much easier is it to do nothing about the current political and spiritual climate, than it is to get involved and get your hands dirty? How much easier is it to stay silent on the issues than it is to speak up?

We have a responsibility to try and win back this world for God. In Micah 6 verse 8 God charges us to "..do what is right, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God."

We have to get our hands dirty.

Okay, no more political pronouncements, I promise. Rant over.

1 comment:

Krystle said...

I couldn't agree with you more. It's true...we know the story, we know how it ends and we know what the beginning of the end looks like. But that shouldn't stop us from trying to make a difference and change in the mean time!